Pokémon Scarlet and Violet VGC events bring new procedures for how premier events are played. This guide is designed for players both new and old, to help you prepare for your upcoming tournaments.
- You must submit a team sheet by the team list submission deadline via the RK9 Team List Creator.
- You can resubmit your team list as many times as you want prior to the submission deadline, however you must play the final team you submit.
- Your team must be eligible for current season rules. The current season's rules can be found in Play! Pokémon VG Rules and Formats on the Play! Pokémon Rules & Resources page.
- Your team must be saved in Battle Team 1.
You must ensure that there are no teams with the same 6 species of Pokémon you are using for the event in your party, boxes, other battle teams, or rental teams.
- You cannot use Rental teams for this event.
- You should set your Nintendo Switch internet settings to automatic.
- Make sure you have an active Nintendo Switch Online Membership for the duration of the event.
At the tournament:
- At the beginning of the tournament you will be seated for the player meeting or Round 1 pairings, depending upon the event. After being seated, you will be provided with your official "opponent view" team sheet.
- You should check that the information on your team sheet is correct. If there are any errors contact a professor to assist you.
- Be careful to look after your sheet as it is required to be shown to your opponent at the start of each tournament round.
- You will connect your Switch to a dock at the table number you are assigned each round. Your switch should be set to flight mode when playing tournament matches.
- Battles will be held over Poké Portal - Union Circle
- Player 1 will host the Union Circle, then they will share the unique code with player 2 so that they can join.
- Once in the Union Circle battles will be started by both players selecting Link Battle.
- Double Battle and Official Rules 1 should be selected for the battle.
- Before you begin your game, please check you’re connected to the right opponent!
- Once games are finished, please ensure you keep your Nintendo Switch docked until you exit out of Union Circle.
- Please change the nickname setting in-game to “Don’t Show,” and all system friend notifications must be off. Make sure your date/time settings are set to sync with the internet.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Why are you requesting no other teams with the same six Pokémon are saved in Battle Teams / rental teams?
A. As we are unable to lock battle teams, we request this for ease of team checking.
Q. What are the penalties if a similar team is saved in Battle Team/rental teams?
A. This may be treated as a major team error and could result in a game loss or disqualification.
Q. If I believe someone is using a team different to the list provided what should I do?
A. Raise your hand and continue your match. A judge will come over and review any concerns you have.
Q. If you cannot lock battle teams, how will teams be checked?
A. Random checks will be made at the end of games to ensure the teams being used are the same as those listed on RK9 and on the provided opponent view team sheets.
Q. When will I receive my opponents team sheet?
A. You and your opponents will exchange team sheets when both players are seated and ready to begin the match. Once the match is finished, you must return the team sheet to its owner. For this reason, you are not allowed to make notes on the team sheets.
Q. What if players are using level 1 Pokémon which can hide IV/EVs?
A. It is our recommendation players do not use Level 1 Pokémon. Should a player have one or multiple in their team, judges will need to simulate a battle and stat checks performed.
Q. Why is it recommended to set the switch into flight mode?
A. This will stop the system picking up wireless connections and help the connection stability.
Q. Why are battles held over Union Circle?
A. This helps pair the correct devices whilst also reducing the chance of being banned from online services in case of disconnections.
Q. Why must I exit Union Circle before undocking my Nintendo Switch?
A. This will ensure the game does not register the disconnection as malicious, which could lead to problems connecting in future rounds.
Q. Can I still play without a Nintendo Switch Online Membership?
A. Unfortunately not, as with previous seasons this remains a requirement.
Q. Can I turn airplane mode off if my controllers aren’t working?
A. No, if you’re experiencing controller issues, call a judge for assistance.
Q. What happens if I’m banned from Nintendo’s online service?
A. Normal Procedural penalties may apply, as if late to a match.
Q. When I'm submitting my team list, what does Switch Profile Name refer to?
A. This is the system profile you are using on the Switch. Since there may be multiple profiles, the judges need to know which one you are using for tournament play.
Q. When I'm submitting my team list, what does Battle team refer to?
A. To get to Battle Teams in game, press X to open the main menu and select boxes. In the top left corner of the screen, you will see Party and boxes | Held Items | Battle Teams. Press X twice to see Battle team 1; this is where you should store your team for the tournament.